MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect "event" occuring. why? what is this?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Wed Aug 9 19:24:47 PDT 2006

On Wed, Aug 09, 2006 at 08:45:48AM -0700, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> Where does a MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect come from?

The NDIS miniport driver generates it.

> Sometimes after a connection / authentication has been established, after a
> short amount of time, I receive a MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect in the
> console log followed by a disconnection.
>
> Why?

For some reason, the driver believed that the association was lost. This
could be caused, e.g., by the AP disconnecting the client.

> When this "event" (?) occurs, the wpa_sup stays inactive for a long time
> (>30 seconds to minutes) before retrying to connect.

This is not expected. wpa_supplicant is supposed to reconnect more
quickly. Are you using ap_scan=2 or ap_scan=1 mode?

> How can I guarantee a constant and consistent connection?

I would not claim any guarantees on constant wireless connection.. Sure,
this is not supposed to happen frequently if the client remains close
enough to the AP and there is not too much external interference.

> Can I react "immediately" to MSNdis_StatusMediaDisconnect "event" or
> whatever it is?

That's what is already supposed to happen..

> Here's the log:

Could you please send the full log and the configuration file you used
here? I would like to know what exactly happened after the disconnection
and the debug log here does not continue long enough to show how the
connection was eventually recovered.