wpa error message

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sat Nov 5 20:03:46 PST 2005

On Sun, Nov 06, 2005 at 12:39:50AM +0100, Shawn Adams wrote:

> Using wpa_supplicant 0.4.6 with a madwifi card.

> Can anyone tell me what the following error message means:
> State: GROUP_HANDSHAKE -> COMPLETED
> CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 00:20:d8:03:8a:bc completed (auth)
> EAPOL: External notification - portValid=1
> EAPOL: SUPP_PAE entering state AUTHENTICATED
> Wireless event: cmd=0x8b2a len=12
> RX EAPOL from 00:20:d8:03:8a:bc
> EAPOL: Ignoring WPA EAPOL-Key frame in EAPOL state machines
> IEEE 802.1X RX: version=1 type=3 length=108
>   EAPOL-Key type=254
> WPA: EAPOL-Key Replay Counter did not increase - dropping packet

Could you please send full debug log from the beginning to this point
with -ddt on the command line? It would also be useful to get a packet
capture log (e.g., with Ethereal or tcpdump from the ath0 interface on
the client).

> This "dropping packet" message seems to coincide with 3 EAP key frames
> sent by the AP.
>
> right after the 3rd message, wpa drops, and blacklists the AP.

Those packets were likely reauthentication and either the
(re)association was missed somehow or the AP has a bug in its WPA
implementation. AP is disconnecting at this point since it did not
receive a reply from the station. What kind of AP are you using
(vendor/model/firmware version)?