Received signal strength

Eduard Garcia eduardg
Mon May 24 10:58:06 PDT 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Anand S. Katti" <askatti at ece.iisc.ernet.in>
To: <hostap at shmoo.com>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 1:44 PM
Subject: Received signal strength

> I have a Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan Chipset.I want to convert
the
>  parameter rxdesc->signal into dBm.
> Is  (rxdesc->signal-100) the right way to do it?.

As I read on "A Practical Approach to Identifying and Tracking Unauthorized
802.11 Cards and Access Points". Interlink Networks White Paper, URL:
http://www.interlinknetworks.com. 2002.:

"The values returned by iwspy were most likely already logarithmic, to make
them easier to read. If they were logarithmic, they should have some linear
relationship to the signal strength in dBm. The relationship between the
values returned by iwspy and dBm was found to be linear:

P[dBm] = 1.205 P[RSSI] - 101.7
P[RSSI] = 0.83 P[dBm] +  83.891
"

Edu