Received signal strength

sankpal_manisha sankpal_manisha
Fri May 14 04:48:38 PDT 2004

Hi,
may be this is a simple question ....i want to know from where we can get the received signal strength?
is it part of received packet or it is the strength of the receiver with which it accepts packet?

by this what i mean whether the signal strength will flow in air with pacekt or not..
please clarify me if i am wrong..
Thanks in advance
manisha

"Eduard Garcia"<eduardg at mat.upc.es> wrote:
(please, I need help with this)

..so all power statistics returned by iwconfig/iwpriv or stored in
/proc/net/wlan0, etc. are in RSSI format which can be transformed to dBm
using dBmAdjust (multiplying?, dividing?...?). Am I wrong?

Now...how can I read the value of dBmAdjust and in general, any RID word?
More: the value of CommsQuality is referred to the quality of the signal
received with the AP I'm associated to?

And last: what do you suggest me to do to set the txpower? iwconfig ...
txpower...? iwpriv...writemif? With hostap 0.0.3 version and firmware 1.3.6
should I upgrade to
1.5.6 and install patch from http://www.jikos.cz/~jbohac/hostap/?

Please, I need a reference to RID words and mifs
(http://www.intersil.com/data/FN/FN4/FN4856/FN4856.pdf is broken)!! Or
somebody explain-me.

Sorry, but maybe this is a very-newbie question :((

Edu