client association problem

sankpal_manisha sankpal_manisha
Sun May 9 21:04:46 PDT 2004

hi Mark

ya you are right ... i give a command  as

ifconfig wlan0 192.168.6.29 up

does this mean the link is up rather interface is up? means, the association of client with APs is successsful only when the link is up. what will happen if i just give ifconfig wlan0 up ?that is without giving IP and making link up,does the client will get associated with the AP?

thanks for ur help

"Mark Glines" wrote:

On vr, mei 07, 2004 at 08:51:39 +0530, sankpal_manisha wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have converted my PC to work as an AP using hostap.
> the iwconfig commands show corect ssid,signal ,stregth,etc..
>
> and when i tried to associate client it falis....
> i assigned the IP address to wlan0 using ifconfig and the client gets associetd with the AP.
>
> i m wondering why this happens?
> is there neccessity to assign IP address to wlan0 very time ? what is the significance of doing this?

Why don't you include the exact ifconfig command you used? My guess is you're
doing more than simply setting the IP address. For instance, if your ifconfig
command line includes the word "up", you're also enabling the link, which is
more important than setting an address...

Mark
Indiatimes Email now powered by APIC Advantage. Help!
HelpClick on the image to chat with me