PCMCIA + recent Intel motherboards (Re: FYI: Debian & DWL-650P)

Ryan Verner xfesty
Tue Jun 29 08:52:24 PDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 01:18, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> If you have this problem with any card then it's indeed offtopic here.
> You probably should continue debugging of the PCMCIA problems based on the
> feedback you received in the PCMCIA list.

Understand, which is why I've asked there; they're not really sure why,
though.

> That's actually the expected behavior if the motherboard is to blame.
> You may want to dump the port and memory areas used by the PCMCIA bridge
> when the bridge is removed.  It may turn out they are used by the
> motherboard.  Enable PNPBIOS and use lspnp utility from pcmcia-cs to find
> motherboard resources.

Ok, can do.  (If you're willing to help with this, should I reply here,
or just to you?  Are you on any other suitable mailing lists [i.e. the
PCMCIA one] I could instead send this to?)

> > I've asked around on the PCMCIA lists, unfortunately without much luck; the
> > thread is at:
> >
> > <http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-pcmcia/2004-June/000949.html>
>
> Well, your problem requires some work on your side in addition to asking.
> Sorry for that, but not every question has a ready answer.

Well, of course; I'm willing to do that work, I just have no idea what
that would involve, hence my asking about the problem.  I'm no kernel
hacker.

I did a bunch of 'cbdump' dumps, which are at:

http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia/
http://mail.catstick.com/pcmcia24/

(the first being 2.6.7, the second being 2.4.27).

If there's any other information I can apply, let me know.

> > Anybody here have any clues how I'd get it working (perhaps have crashed into
> > the same issue)?  You mention 'motherboard quirks', where would one find
> > this?
>
> drivers/pci/quirks.c in Linux sources.  See pci_fixups[] array.  If you
> are lucky, there may be an existing fixup for similar boards, so you'll
> simply need to add your board.

I'll have a look - thanks.