EAP - access request from hostapd to radiusd

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jul 25 07:41:07 PDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 25, 2004 at 02:00:43PM +0200, Karl Rothenh?fer wrote:

> from what I can see hostapd sends an access request to radiusd without the
> parameter
> Attribute 2 User-Password
> Consequently Radiusserver rejects authentication.

The first part is correct (and reason for it is that IEEE 802.1X uses
EAP, not CHAP etc.), but the conclusion is not. That should have been:
"Consequently RADIUS server must be configured for EAP authentication."
There is no User-Password attribute in RADIUS messages carrying EAP. The
authentication is done using EAP-Message attributes (i.e., within EAP).