netlink issues between hostap and zebra

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Jan 5 20:39:15 PST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:52:48PM +0200, Theodor Milkov wrote:

> Want to ask about an not critical but very annoying problem I have with
> zebra and which I believe is caused by hostap.

This sounds more like zebra "issue" with Linux wireless events.

> Later it became necessary to switch to WDS and hence I upgraded to Linux
> kernel 2.4.20, hostap-0.1.2 and also flashed my Senao to fw. 1.5.6.
> Since then zebra complaints about:
>
> ZEBRA: netlink_parse_info: netlink-listen type RTM_NEWLINK(16), seq=0, pid=0
> ZEBRA: netlink-listen filter function error

Zebra seems to complain about wireless event message..

> Using iproute tools I can see:
>
> $ ip monitor
> BUG: nil ifname

.. and so does iproute2.

> The first one have very strong signal level, no packet loss at all and
> the "nil ifname" messages are at rate about 2-3 per hour.
>
> The second system is in very noisy environment, have noticeable packet
> loss and rises and lowers it speed several times per minute. "nil
> ifname" messages are also several time per minute.

Host AP sends wireless event for dropped packets.

> I'm open for suggestions and can run test on request.

Do you see any real issues apart from error messages? If not, maybe you
could just ignore those or try to fix Zebra/ip to quietly ignore new
netlink messages that they do not know.