Mac Level Handoffs

Craig Thornton thorntcw
Sat Jan 3 11:47:19 PST 2004

Hi,

In your setup your FTP session will be persistent if both of your AP's
are configured as bridges.

It is ok for the hostap interface (wlan0) to be in Master mode as they
will be acting as AP's and sending out beacons.  In fact I would
recommend that you stick to Master mode in this setup.  The difference
in channels will not matter either.  It may however increase your
handoff latency slightly but FTP is not delay sensitive so you should
be ok.  Typical handoff delays are 250 to 750 ms.

In order to configure a your AP as a bridge simply use kernel bridging
and put both wlan0 and eth0 into your newly created bridge group.

All 802.11 handoffs are MAC layer handoffs.  Anything above L2 will be
independent of hostap.

I hope that this helps you out.

Cheers,

Craig

Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2004 21:49:39 +0530 (IST)
From: "Anand S. Katti" <askatti at ece.iisc.ernet.in>
Subject: Mac Level Handoffs
To: hostap at shmoo.com

Hello All,

I got one more query for HOTSPOT.

I am setting up a HOTSPOT, but im understanding how things work at this
point..

hostap1----------------------hostap2

hostap1:
channel 1
ssid=test

hostap2
channel 6
ssid=test

Both hostap are operating in AP mode.

If I with a LAPTOP with an FTP session ON from hostap1 towards hostap2
then will this session get disconnected ? or it will be on even on
hostap2
area? Will the connection be persistent?

As requirement i'll seperate both AP's with 5 channels apart.

Will the above setup work ? if not why ? I think essentially im asking
whether above setup leads to MAC LEVEL HANDOFF's?

Should the hostap2 be in repeater/BRIDGE mode ?

Kindly showme the way.
Anand S.Katti