Hostap configuration - internet resoucres ?

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Feb 8 11:20:50 PST 2004

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 05:26:45PM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> how do wpa_supplicant/hostapd send and receive packets?
> using packet socket or something like that?

Both of them are using packet sockets, but with a bit different frame
contents. hostapd sends IEEE 802.11 frames because it needs tob e able
to send management frames that have different IEEE 802.11 header.
wpa_supplicant sends Ethernet frames, i.e., it does not include IEEE
802.11 header.

> maybe I can hack a small client/server app to (re-)set ccmp
> keys myself till we have authenticator code.

Well, that's one option. EAPOL packets (ethertype 0x888e) have special
processing since they are needed for key handshake. EAPOL-Key frames are
used to distribute the keys in IEEE 802.1x and WPA/IEEE 802.11i.

> Or where would I find some paper about how to implement an
> wpa authenticator? what is the standard for that? 1x? 11i?

IEEE 802.11i/D3.0 with WPA spec from Wi-Fi. However, I'm already aware
of at least three different implementation of WPA Authenticator on top
of hostapd, so making yet another one might not be the best way to
proceed. Making an open source release of an existing implementation
would avoid quite a bit of duplicated work.