Hermes driver missing?

Donald Teed dteed
Thu Aug 19 07:32:55 PDT 2004

If I do an lspci -v, the truemobile 1350 machine shows as:

02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation: Unknown device 4320 (rev 03)
         Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0003
         Memory at fafee000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

while the truemobile 1300 machine shows as:

02:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94306 802.11g (rev 02)
         Subsystem: Dell Computer Corporation: Unknown device 0001
         Memory at fafee000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8K]

(In these reports, the first report is from Slackware 9, while
the second is from Xandros Linux, so that accounts for some
of the verbal detail being better in the second case.)

So I guess the subsystem ID is different as well.  The rev
also says it is different, but when we loosely talk about
"broadcom works" or even list 14e4:4320 as a supported
and tested device on the ndiswrapper list of supported chipsets,
this clearly doesn't include that information.

I've witnessed hard lock ups from the same OS (I swapped the disk into
the other notebook) while the ndiswrapper 0.8 module is loaded in Xandros
Linux.  These did not occur with the rev 2 component under the same conditions.
The problems were: system lock up when modprobe ndiswrapper runs on boot
while on battery power, and system lock up when ndiswrapper module
is present and winmodem is used, as well as random lock ups
while using emacs or whatever.  Both of the above devices are on
mini-PCI, so if you want to compare it to the same chipset on
a PC-card, then we are even less in common and therefore less
reason to assume all is the same.

Like a QA person I knew used to say: "if it isn't tested, it is broken".

--Donald Teed