local_bh_enable() was called in hard irq context. This is probably a bug

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Nov 16 20:02:57 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 04:15:09PM -0500, Kyle Rose wrote:

> Installed linux-2.6.0-test9-mm3 on a new Thinkpad T40 today, and
> compiled the hostap 0.1.2 modules.  Got an interesting set of error
> messages:

> local_bh_enable() was called in hard irq context.   This is probably a bug
> Call Trace:
>  [<c0120e79>] local_bh_enable+0x79/0x80
>  [<d09963d9>] prism2_transmit_cb+0x99/0xe0 [hostap_cs]

prism2_transmit_cb() (hw irq context) calls hostap_netif_wake_queues()
and hostap_netif_stop_queues() which in turn, call read_unlock_bh() in
v0.1.2. Looks like I have to add another function (or parameter for this
one) to call read_lock/read_unlock instead.. Development branch has
already removed those functions completely because there is only on
netif queue per interface in the new code. If you are interested in
testing the new version, I would like to hear whether you see similar
issues with it. You can download the latest CVS snapshot of the
development branch from http://hostap.epitest.fi/.

> wlan0 (WE) : Buffer for request 8B1B too small (0<4)

That looks like a user space problem; recompiling the program that
caused this error could help here.. Unfortunately, that message does not
tell which program it was (Jean: would printing out current->comm with
that message be useful?).