problem with wireless on RH7.3 with pci adapter

Project Manager projekt.manager
Sun Mar 23 23:55:59 PST 2003

Hi,

Barry Dunietz wrote:
> I am trying to get the pci wireless on my ibm thinkpad T30 running the
> RH7.3.
>
> Now, iwconfig wlan0 shows wireless extension. However,
> when simply typing iwconfig will not list wlan0:

If you are trying to get wireless on a Thinkpad, I suppose you should be
using the PCMCIA cardbus driver.  So your friendly driver is hostap_cs,
not hostap_pci.

Good way to check if your driver is loaded correctly is to have a look in:

1. /proc/net/wireless
2. /proc/net/hostap/

if you are trying to use this Thinkpad as an access point, then you
should see the MAC addrs of stations associating to it listed as
proc-files in /proc/net/hostap.

Also lsmod lists the hostap_cs driver if it loaded fine.  Mine looks like:

	alexander:/home # lsmod
	hostap_cs              47792   1
	hostap                 53476   0  [hostap_cs]
	hostap_crypt            1520   0  [hostap]

/etc/modules.conf should normally contain "alias wlan0 hostap_cs".

If have pcmcia support built into the kernel (which is the case with
recent kernel versions), there shouldn't be a need to recompile it.
Check this by issuing:

	cardctl ident

which will list all pcmcia cards inserted into the laptop and recognised
by the pcmcia package.  Mine looks like:

	alexander:/home # cardctl ident
	Socket 0:
	  product info: "PROXIM", "RangeLAN-DS/LAN PC CARD", ""
	  manfid: 0x0126, 0x8000
	  function: 6 (network)

If you are really trying to use a pci card on the Thinkpad, then *lspci*
should give some starting clues.

Hope that helps some - Cheers