problem with wireless on RH7.3 with pci adapter

Barry Dunietz dunietz
Sun Mar 23 00:46:17 PST 2003

I am trying to get the pci wireless on my ibm thinkpad T30 running the
RH7.3.

Now, iwconfig wlan0 shows wireless extension. However,
when simply typing iwconfig will not list wlan0:

 iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0:1    no wireless extensions.
[root at apple root]# iwconfig wlan0
wlan0     IEEE 802.11-b  ESSID:"test"
          Mode:Master  Frequency:2.422GHz  Access Point:
          Bit Rate:11Mb/s   Tx-Power:-10 dBm   Sensitivity=1/3
          Retry min limit:8   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Encryption key:off
          Power Management:off
          Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

the only way i was able to get the hostap_pci on the network configuration
tool was when i added "alias eth1 hostap_pci" in /etc/module.conf
changing eth1 by wlan0 did not help.

It looks like i need to recompile the kernel? (never did that thus i am
hesitant to do so)