2.4.21: pain with "iwconfig wlan0 key [1]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx key [1] key on key restricted"

Denis Vlasenko vda
Mon Jun 16 23:11:22 PDT 2003

On 16 June 2003 19:00, Pavel Roskin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> [I'm removing all cc: because the developers you e-mailed directly are
> subscribed and will participate if they have time and they find your
> report interesting and worth replying]

ok.

> I don't think this upgrade by itself could have broken hostap unless you
> changed the configuration significantly or applied some patches only to
> one of the kernels (e.g.  2.4.20 was actually a kernel heavily patched by
> Red Hat).  The version of wireless extensions changed from 14 to 15, but I
> don't think it would affect you unless you upgraded wireless tools.

2.4.20 with small SCSI fix by me.
2.4.21 was make_oldconfig'ed with the same .config

> It's very unhelpful to replace the WEP key with "x" if the problem is
> likely to be with the key?  Cannot you reproduce the problem with another
> valid key of the same length but different from the actual key used in
> your network?

Will try with different key, however I really doubt it matters.

I do not like the idea of making my WEP key googleable from anywhere
on Earth. Sorry ;)
However, I did make sure number of x chars is exactly the same
as number of hex digits in my key.

> > iwconfig wlan0 key [1] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx key [1] key on key restricted
>
> Works for me if I replace "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" with
> "cccccccccccccccccccccccccc".  Wireless tools 26.pre10.
>
> > OTOH I did not try latest wireless tools... guess I should. Current version is
>
> Yes.  There have been changes in the key parsing since version 25.

Jean says the same. Will test it.
Aha!
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/wireless_tools.26.pre10.tar.gz ;)
--