2.4.21: pain with "iwconfig wlan0 key [1]xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx key [1] key on key restricted"

Pavel Roskin proski
Mon Jun 16 09:00:39 PDT 2003

Hello!

[I'm removing all cc: because the developers you e-mailed directly are
subscribed and will participate if they have time and they find your
report interesting and worth replying]

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, insecure wrote:

> I tried to update my kernel from 2.4.20 to 2.4.21 (I had masquerading
> problems and netfilter folks asked me to recheck with newer kernel)
>
> A couple of things broke, one of them is hostap.

I don't think this upgrade by itself could have broken hostap unless you
changed the configuration significantly or applied some patches only to
one of the kernels (e.g.  2.4.20 was actually a kernel heavily patched by
Red Hat).  The version of wireless extensions changed from 14 to 15, but I
don't think it would affect you unless you upgraded wireless tools.

It's very unhelpful to replace the WEP key with "x" if the problem is
likely to be with the key?  Cannot you reproduce the problem with another
valid key of the same length but different from the actual key used in
your network?

> iwconfig wlan0 key [1] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx key [1] key on key restricted

Works for me if I replace "xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" with
"cccccccccccccccccccccccccc".  Wireless tools 26.pre10.

> OTOH I did not try latest wireless tools... guess I should. Current version is

Yes.  There have been changes in the key parsing since version 25.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin