Dynamic WEP rekeying and windows XP...

Erik Brakkee erik.brakkee
Sun Jul 27 13:07:28 PDT 2003

Hi,

Jouni Malinen wrote:

>On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 08:33:04PM +0200, Erik Brakkee wrote:
>

>>My wireless LAN is working flawlessly with WEP encryption enabled but
>>without
>>dynamic WEB rekeying. Nevertheless, as soon as I switch on dynamic WEP
>>rekeying
>>in the hostapd.conf file, I can still connect with windows XP to my
>>wireless network,
>>but an IP address is not assigned ('ipconfig' shows 0.0.0.0) .
>>

>Do you mean it was working with IEEE 802.1X, but without dynamic WEP
>keying?

It was working with 802.11b without dynamic WEP keying

>>I made the following changes to the hostapd.conf file:
>>
>>   wep_key_len_broadcast =5
>>   wep_key_len_unicast=5
>>   wep_rekey_period=300
>>

>Are these the only changes you did to the attached hostapd.conf?

Yes these are the only changes I made.

>>What other configuration steps should I use in order to get the dynamic
>>WEP rekeying function to
>>work? Should this work with a Linux/Windows XP combination?
>>

>Dynamic WEP keying requires IEEE 802.1X. The attached hostapd.conf does
>not have it enabled. You will need to set ieee8021x=1 and configure
>RADIUS server for IEEE 802.1X use (auth_server_* in hostapd.conf).

Ok, I read something about 802.1X, and this involves the EAP protocol
and a Radius server.
I understand the basic principle of a radius server because I have
encountered this earlier
(at work). However, I don't know exactly how to set this up.

Right now I am using iwconfig to specify the key.

Where can I find information on setting up a radius server for 802.1X?

Cheers
  Erik