Dynamic WEP rekeying and windows XP...

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Sun Jul 27 11:47:18 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 27, 2003 at 08:33:04PM +0200, Erik Brakkee wrote:

> My wireless LAN is working flawlessly with WEP encryption enabled but
> without
> dynamic WEB rekeying. Nevertheless, as soon as I switch on dynamic WEP
> rekeying
> in the hostapd.conf file, I can still connect with windows XP to my
> wireless network,
> but an IP address is not assigned ('ipconfig' shows 0.0.0.0) .

Do you mean it was working with IEEE 802.1X, but without dynamic WEP
keying?

> I made the following changes to the hostapd.conf file:
>
>    wep_key_len_broadcast =5
>    wep_key_len_unicast=5
>    wep_rekey_period=300

Are these the only changes you did to the attached hostapd.conf?

> What other configuration steps should I use in order to get the dynamic
> WEP rekeying function to
> work? Should this work with a Linux/Windows XP combination?

Dynamic WEP keying requires IEEE 802.1X. The attached hostapd.conf does
not have it enabled. You will need to set ieee8021x=1 and configure
RADIUS server for IEEE 802.1X use (auth_server_* in hostapd.conf).