Richoh RL5c475 and IRQ

Pavel Roskin proski
Fri Jul 25 21:17:04 PDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Jerry wrote:

> > # Defaults for pcmcia (sourced by /etc/init.d/pcmcia)
> > PCMCIA=yes
> > PCIC=i82365
> > PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=0 pci_irq_list=17,20"

I wonder what's the reason to set pci_irq_list.  You shouldn't need that.

> > #PCIC_OPTS=
> > CORE_OPTS=
> > CARDMGR_OPTS=
>
> Elan recommends: PCIC_OPTS="irq_mode=0 pci_csc=0 poll_interval=100"

That would be useful for drivers that can live without any interrupts
(like memory cards), but HostAP isn't such driver.

> on their website... but i have found that you need to have "pci=biosirq"
> appended to the boot kernel by lilo, or grub or whatever, also.

Yes, something like this is more likely to help.  Once the interrupts are
routed correctly, no options should be needed for i82365.  Maybe just
"irq_mode=0".  The kernel PCMCIA (yenta_socket) should be fine too.

To fix the interrupt problem, try setting PCI access mode to BIOS or
direct.  Also try enabling ACPI and disabling IO-APIC, and if you have
SMP, try disabling it too.

Since you cannot persuade HostAP not to use an interrupt, further
discussion should probably go to linux-pcmcia at lists.infradead.org or LKML.
The output of "lspci -vvv" and dmesg (complete, including ACPI
initialization) may be useful.  Your .config may be useful as well.

I used to have other IRQ routing problems with Ricoh RL5c476, so I'm not
surprised.  But the problems were on the bus level, so i82365 couldn't do
anything about it - the fix was in the kernel.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin