station mode lockup problem

Brock Eastman brock
Tue Jul 22 12:51:33 PDT 2003

Hi All,

We are observing problems with hostap acting as a client without doing wds.

The connection works to any other access point in infrastructure mode; and then times out after 2-8  hours.

We also have issues bringing up the wireless card with managed mode.  We have to do the following to bring it up:

iwconfig wlan1 ip.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iwconfig wlan1 essid tester
iwconfig wlan1 channel 6
iwconfig wlan1 mode Master
iwconfig wlan1 mode Managed

It works sometimes; and then sometimes not. The channels are fine too.   We cannot bring up the interface initially as
'managed'; it has to be master first then switched to managed.

We are running wireless-tools 23 from the debian distribution.  However, whenever we run iwconfig it gives us an error
message saying that the wlan1 was compiled with version 14 while we are using version 12?

We are using firmware 1.7.4 w/ a SMC 2632 200mW card.

I am connecting to a wap11 in infrastructure mode as a test.  The wap11 is running firmware 1.4.j1; the lastest stable version.

I also read a post that had a similar situation with the card in client mode and the connection dropping out.

Please help.

Brock Eastman