Which card has a most power?!

Leonardo Pereira Santos lsantos
Wed Jan 22 06:29:52 PST 2003

You must remember one thing: if you have one card with great tx power, but are
trying to communicate with cards that don't have as much tx power, you
problably end up with you "powerful" card not being able to listen to the
other card over great distances.
If you want a card to make a AP that is able to connect over longer distances,
it'll be better to have a good antenna than a lot of power, because antennas
increase rx sensibility as well. If you want to make a point-to-point link,
then go ahead and use both cards with lots of tx power, but in this case a
good directional antenna will not only increase the distance you'll be able
to cover but might even avoid intercerence with neighboors.

On Wednesday 22 January 2003 12:19, Jacques Caron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would be surprised if that card had 100mW, most PRISM-based cards only
> have 30mW. The most powerful cards around have 200mW, and Senao has one of
> those (and it is PRISM-based).
>
> Note however that in Europe, ETSI regulations prohibit going over 100mW
> EIRP (to avoid interference to other users of the 2.4GHz band), which means
> about 30mW output power with a standard dipole antenna, and less as you
> increase your antenna gain. Cards sold for Europe usually have this limit
> set in the card, but if you import cards made for the US market (where the
> limits are much higher in general, and even higher for ptp links), it is
> your responsibility to make sure you don't go over the limit. There have
> been known cases in ETSI-regulated countries (e.g. France) of people being
> fined and asked to tear down their installation because they were going
> over the limits. Which all means that unless you are willing to take the
> risk (and potentially annoy all your neighbors), there is no reason to use
> a card with more than 30mW output power.
>
> Hope that helps,
>
> Jacques.
>
> At 07:40 22/01/2003, Carsten Tschach wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I do have a Compaq WL200 card and was told, that this has 100 mW of power.
> >But I now have heard, that there are other cards with more power - so I
> >would like to know which one has the most....
> >
> >Bye, Carsten

- --
This is Linux country.
On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.

Leonardo Pereira Santos
Engenheiro de Projetos
PD3 Tecnologia
av. Par? 330/202
(51) 3337 1237

Today Fortune tells us:
"I'd love to go out with you, but I did my own thing and now I've got
to undo it."