hostapd forking and enhancements

Sergio M. Ammirata ammirata
Sat Jan 11 11:45:17 PST 2003

Thanks for adding the forking option. I will try it out today.

Here is another PAP radius capture using -s 512. I think this time it
has all the data.

As far as using a standard 802.11 encoding instead of PAP, I don't
particularly have a preference as long as we can use it quickly :)
As you can see on the captures it is extremely simple to implement PAP
... And on the server side you can leverage the user name lists already
available in radius servers to hold the station MAC addresses.

Thanks in advance,

Sergio

Of
> Jouni Malinen
> Sent: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 10:03 PM
> To: hostap at shmoo.com
> Subject: Re: hostapd forking and enhancements
>
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:03:09AM -0500, Sergio Ammirata wrote:
>
> > I think the forking is rather critical since it prevents people from
> > deploying the software in a production environment. Specially if the
are
> > using it in a custom distro with limited tools.
>
> I added it yesterday (-B argument for hostapd).
>
> > I like the idea of RADIUS. Perhaps we can use PAP authentication and
> > send the station MAC in both the username and password attributes.
>
> I would like to an encoding that is used by other 802.11 APs (I would
> assume that there exists one supporting this), but yes, it could be
> something like that.
>
> > I have attached a tcpdump capture of a PAP radius communication
between
> > a pppd daemon and a Microsoft IAS Radius Server. It includes connect
and
> > disconnect (use tcpdump -r filename to read).
>
> The snaplength (-s option for tcpdump) seemed to be too short and the
> packets were truncated so that the interesting part of the attributes
> was not included.
>
> --
> Jouni Malinen                                            PGP id
EFC895FA