Prevent clients to do channel scanning

Ariel Molina Rueda ariel
Thu Feb 6 17:44:19 PST 2003

> How close is close? If your APs are close to each other maybe you don't
> need  as many APs.

Aprox. distances.

                CLIENTS
    FEW CLIENTS                  CLIENTS
                    AP1
                   /    \         MANY CLIENTS
          100mts  /      \  100mts
                 /        \       CLIENTS
                /          \
  FEW CLIENTS  AP2 ------- AP3      CLIENTS
                    100mts

             MANY CLIENTS

Due to the topography of the zone and some politics is needed that the
three aps work.

I have clients in almost every direction using patch antennas in their
houses.

I need 3 AP's because there are some strong obstacles between the 3
subnets and in fact is not in my hands now to kill 2 of the 3 AP's. I cant
use channel 1 and 6 because they are in use by one local ISP with the
Orinoco's propietary stuff.

BTW, i dont think it is a problem of the channels im using. the problem is
basically how to stop the clients from scanning for the network in every
channel, i think this is what causes de most of the interference. A client
gets its connection lost, then he begins to scan in every channel, the
another one gets it conection lost, and start to scan, the interference
grows, suddenly many clients have lost their connections and start
scanning  so the interference grows much more, even if a client can
reconnect to the AP, it will soon be disconnected due to the great amount
of interfecence caused by the other clients trying to reconnect.

Do you think i MUST use only one AP, or there is another way to get out of
this trouble?

> You can also spread your channels more. 3 and 5 are
> very close  together. Might try 1, 6, and 11 instead.

Before i was using channels 2, 7 and 11 and the coldn solve the problem.