Prevent clients to do channel scanning

Ariel Molina Rueda ariel
Thu Feb 6 14:01:45 PST 2003

I have the following configuration:

     |                  INTERNET                     |
     |------------------------------------------------
  ___|__                  ___|__                  ___|__
 | AP 1 |                | AP 2 |                | AP 3 |
  ------                  ------                  ------
     |                       |                       |
     |                       |                       |
     |                       |                       |
  ___________          ___________            ____________
 | clients   |        | clients   |          | clients    |
 | channel 3 |        | channel 5 |          | channel 10 |
  -----------          -----------            ------------

My AP's are close to each other and i can do nothing to fix it.

The problem is that when the connection is bad, and the link between the
AP's and the clients gets lost, my clients start to _scan all the
channels_ for the Network Name, this causes noise in the other AP's and in
some situations causes some other clients to get disconnected, so they
begin to scan too. Eventually i get most of my clients scanning and
causing interference each to other. Oughh!!!

Most of my clients use Orinoco cards and windows, and the orinoco utility
doesnt have a option to stop scanning in all channels.

Some other clients use Linksys WMP11.

Is there any utility to prevent the clients from scanning???
Or, how can i fix this...

Previously i used Orinoco's Outdoor Client Router, this one had an option
to fix the channel.

Thank you for any bit of info about this