HELP: my wireless card consumes too much CPU

Jouni Malinen jkmaline
Mon Feb 3 17:54:37 PST 2003

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:33:04PM +0100, Christian Zoffoli wrote:

> I've two machines using hostap (the first one in Master mode and the
> second one in managed mode). When I start the videolan server (VLS) on
> the machine acting as an AP the CPU of the client machine has an
> occupation between 40-75% (VIA EPIA 800) ...without starting the
> videolan client (VLC) !.

> How could I lower the CPU occupation on the client side ?

By replacing Prism2 based cards with something that supports DMA..

40-75% sounds a bit much, though. I remember seeing about 30-40% use
when flooding one Prism2 card with about 6 Mbps stream. Driver code
could probably be optimized a bit, but I don't think it is going to help
much since most host-CPU time is spent waiting for I/O to/from the
Prism2 card.