DWL-520E (works!)

Andrew Barr barr.156
Wed Dec 31 06:24:52 PST 2003

Here's what I did to get the card working:

- I made the following source code changes:

A) as was specified in the DWL-650P thread, I changed "*pos++ = 0x03;" in
prism2_srec.c to "*pos++ = 0x07;"
B) I also uncommented PRISM2_DOWNLOAD_SUPPORT in hostap_config.h

- I built and installed the driver
- loaded the PCI module with the no_primary option set to 1.
- loaded the WEP module.
- downloaded the appropriate firmware, following the DWL-650P thread.
- card was operational - ran "ifconfig wlan0 up".
- I then configured it to my network using iwconfig and ran dhcpcd.
- I was online.

Hope that helps.

I was using a program called kwifimanager to query the status of the card,
that was probably what was causing the SIOCGIWENCODE message.

Andrew Barr
barr.156 at osu.edu
-----Original Message-----
From: hostap-bounces+barr.156=osu.edu at shmoo.com
[mailto:hostap-bounces+barr.156=osu.edu at shmoo.com] On Behalf Of Jouni
Malinen
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2003 1:28 AM
To: hostap at shmoo.com
Subject: Re: DWL-520E (works!)

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 03:51:44PM -0500, Andrew Barr wrote:

> Following some of the directions in recent posts relating to the
> DWL-650 (rev. P1), I have made my DWL-520E operational and able to get
> on the Internet under Slackware 9.1.

That's nice to hear. What did you need to change in the driver or
prism2_srec?

I modified no-PRI f/w mode to automatically determine SRAM type and card
type (PCI or not). Could someone with DWL-520 E (or any other PCI card
without PRI f/w in flash) test whether the current CVS snapshot is enough to
work with such a card? At least, the new version seems to work fine with
DWL-650 P1.

> wlan0 (WE) : Buffer for request 8B2B too small (0<13)
>
> Any idea what this means? Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

8B2B is SIOCGIWENCODE. In other words, something is trying to read WEP key
configuration from the driver, but this program seems to have a bug (invalid
buffer passed for SIOCGIWENCODE). This could be a wireless status tool, etc.