Discontinuation of Linux 2.2.x and old wireless extensions support

Jean Tourrilhes jt
Mon Apr 14 19:04:43 PDT 2003

gARetH baBB wrote :

> On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Jouni Malinen wrote:
>
> > I'm considering of dropping support for Linux 2.2.x and old wireless
> > extensions support from the future releases of Host AP driver. My
>
> Per features 2.4 (and beyond) is certainly more bloated than 2.2, which
> isn't good for the type of machines/devices (ie. small to very small)
> hostap is being run on.
>
> I certainly run hostap under 2.2 on the laptops I have it on, mainly
> because 2.4 is completely unable to get along with those machines ...

	Maybe Jouni will think that I'm just adding salt on his
wounds, but let's split this issue in the middle. I personally agree
that old wireless extension support is not worth the effort, because
most driver functionality is unavailable.

	I've just added on my web page a patch to upgrade kernel
2.2.25 to Wireless Extension v15 :
	http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/iw225_we15-1.diff
	I cheated a bit, and I disabled Wireless Event support, but
you get all the rest, Wireless Scanning, enhanced iwpriv support,
extra stats, retry setting and standard mode monitor.
	I've tested is lightly with HostAP-0.0.1, and everything seems
fine. Don't forget that after patching you need to recompile all
drivers.

	No, here is the deal : if enough people prove to me that they
have tested this patch on their 2.2.X system (and report eventual
bugs), I'll push the patch to Alan Cox for inclusion in 2.2.26.

	Have fun...

	Jean