get_iplayer Remux: Programme "already in history" error

Chris Walker cdw_pcmail at the-walker-household.co.uk
Fri Jan 8 06:03:37 EST 2021

On Thu, 2021-01-07 at 20:26 +0000, Xander Squier wrote:
> Re-tagging individual files is straightforward; having to do it a
> dozen
> times or more can be a bit much.
>
> We found ourselves in this situation recently after a handful of TV
> programmes failed to convert to MP4, leaving us with just the raw MPEG
> files (we had set incorrect ffmpeg options).
>
> We had hoped to resume from where it left-off: Convert the available
> download to MP4 -> automatic tagging.
>
> It seems however that custom ffmpeg settings push get_iplayer to skip
> the tagging anyway, regardless of user options. If this isn't the case
> then we'd be grateful to know otherwise.

Perhaps I've lost something in the translation here but I'm not clear on
what you are trying to achieve. If you are trying to, for example, alter
the details in the tags, or change the bitrate, then surely you can do
that as a '--commandtv ...' once the file has downloaded. That's
something equivalent to what lots of people do with m4a to mp3 files all
the time.

If you want the tags for you file, then use GiP to do it for you with
the command --tag-only or hadn't you spotted that option?

I don't know how much data is in the raw file but if you have lots of
files, then surely it's a simple matter to script something to go
through them all and issue the command to re-tag them assuming you can
extract the pid from the file. If not, then it's more convoluted to
extract the pid from the download history and match that to your raw
file. You can also incorporate your ffmpeg command in that script. Can't
you?

--
/ _/ _` \ V  V /  |  mailto:cdw_pcmail at the-walker-household.co.uk  |