Slow fetching

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Fri Oct 30 19:01:26 EDT 2020

On 2020-10-30 17:36, Jim Lesurf wrote:
> This morning when I tried to fetch some items the download rate was
> much
> slower than usual. i.e. about a 1/10th what is normal. In effect, the
> result is 'real time'  - so a 30 min TV program takes, erm, about 30
> mins
> to obtain rather than the usual 3 - 5 mins.
>
> I've tried again during day with much the same result.

Did you try specifying alternate CDNs?

Did you try 'speed testing' your internet connection from one or other
of
the speed test sites (which is something I do monthly, usually around
7pm,
just to see if the connection I have is fairly consistently meeting its
advertised speed.  I use:

   https://www.speedtest.net/

Depending on where a speed test site's servers are you will (obviously)
be testing more or less of your local network vv national backbones. It
might be worth you finding some (presumably local) university servers to
do test fetches on too.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own