GiP trying to download incorrect PID

James Scholes james at jls-radio.com
Sun Apr 29 13:06:24 PDT 2018

Nick Payne wrote:
> I've noticed this now a couple of times on different downloads - I give
> GiP a PID on the command line, and it errors out on a different PID
> number.

The PID you provide on the command line represents the main program
entity, in this case, "World Championship Snooker Extra, 2018, Day 8".
Using that PID you can load the program page in your browser, and GiP
can get information about it.

There is, however, no media associated with that PID.  Each program can
have multiple versions, and the main PID is not assumed to represent one
single version.  For example, a TV episode might have an original
version, a version which has been edited, a version which carries audio
description for the blind, and yet another version which carries sign
language.  A radio episode of The Archers might have an original
broadcast version and an edited, podcast version.

Each version is represented by yet another PID, so when GiP reports that
it had a problem downloading a PID different to what you gave it, it's
reporting that it failed to download a specific version.  If a program
has multiple versions, or you want a particular one, you can supply it
by name on the command line using the --versions parameter.

Regards,

James Scholes
https://twitter.com/JamesScholes