News Quiz Extra pvr Download Failed

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Thu May 18 07:04:20 PDT 2017

On 18/05/17 12:53, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
> On 18/05/2017 12:32, Budge wrote:
>> On 18/05/17 05:18, Alan Milewczyk wrote:
>>> Hi Budge
>>>
>>> Hmmm I notice that when you tried to download using the PID the
>>> output tells you that it's not in the cache, isn't this the reason
>>> why your PVR download failed (something that a refresh would/should
>>> have picked up)?
>> [snip]
>>
>> Hi Alan,
>> Now this is a good point which gives me pause.  I recall some posts
>> about cache refresh and will have to go back and read.
>>
>> In fact I have never before taken any action with the cache so I have
>> no idea how it used to be refreshed in the past. The pvr just worked
>> and I thought the pvr search did the cache refresh automagically.
>>
>> Have things changed?  What should I do to correct this as I am likely
>> missing several other programmes if you are correct?
>> Regards,
>> Budge
>>

> I don't generally use the PVR but from memory it refreshes every 4 hours
> by default. You'll find the appropriate setting in the file
> "run_pvr_scheduler.cmd" (which is located in the gip folder in Program
> Files (x86)).
>
> When you download by PID then it doesn't matter if the programme isn't
> in the cache (except perhaps for missing metadata) but if you search by
> programme name then it's always worthwhile refreshing the cache.
>
> Generally most of my radio programmes are downloaded using the prog name
> so I always first do a:
>      get_iplayer --type=radio --refresh
> then I load the batch file that lists the progs I wish to download. That
> way I'm assured of having the programmes in the cache.

Hi Alan,
Gip folder in Program Files!!!  Could that be a windoze place?  A
foreign land!

Since my pvr-list has both radio and tv programmes I assume that when it
came to a "type = radio" in the list it would refresh the radio cache.
Perhaps not but I have never before needed to refresh anything.

Bottom line is that something must have changed because what used to
work does so no longer, or at least not always.  I suppose I could add
the refresh commands to my cron job but that should not be necessary.
Need to study how the whole process is supposed to work.  If I am lucky
somebody will tell me.
Thanks again,
Budge