Why mp4 or mp4.ts from identical installation?

Charles Bradshaw charles.bradshaw at ntlworld.com
Thu Feb 9 05:23:17 PST 2017

Hello List

I have, with some difficulty, installed ffmpeg 3.3.2 with the result
that instead of  the .ts file I get an mp4. So progress. Unfortunately
the file is almost 3.5 times the size, slow, lumpy and poorly synched,
than the one I get from my Fedora install.

Some experimenting with --verbose reveals some interesting results.
Unfortunately I can't post the details because the posts are being bounced.

To summarise: I copy the rtmpdump and ffmpeg commands from the Fedora
traces and execute them on the CentOS command line. Simply using the
original installed versions. I get a mp4.flv from rtmpdump and the
expected mp4 from ffmpeg. Now the mp4 is back to the original (smaller)
size.

I conclude that the problem has nothing whatever to do with versions of
ffmpeg or the missing AtomicParsley. To the contrary it it must be
something to do with how get_iplayer evokes rtmpdump.

On thought came to me in the dark hours; The Fedora box is connected
over a slow wifi link whereas CentOS has a hard wired Ethernet
connection. I have no clue about rtmpdump yet. It seems that it is
something subtle with get_iplayers invocation of rtmpdump where the
problem lies.

Some assistance from someone with knowledge of the code would be helpful
now. I am reasonably perl literate, but get\_iplayer is deep.

Thanks for your help, Charles Bradshaw