Preparing for latest update - modes questions.

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun Feb 5 13:19:58 PST 2017

>From: Budge Sent: Sunday, February 5, 2017 18:35

>I am doing a bit of housekeeping in preparation for upgrading to gip 2.98
>and seek help and advice with my mode settings.

To my mind it is ludicrous that you are having to do this.

I see no problem in introducing new names for modes, but it is unacceptable
to change the meaning of names of modes which have existed in previous
versions.

I would discourage anyone from using the best, better ... mode names,
because their meaning has been changed between versions. This is not
something you are proposing to do, but a number of contributors to this
listserver seem to have been confused by it

I would have advocated using the more formal mode names which describe more
precisely the format you will get.  In the case of radio even that is not
safe.  HLS radio modes changed to HAF modes between v2.95 and 2.97.  Now it
seems in v2.98 DASH modes have become DAF.

As for tv modes you can't even change them reliably at the moment because
there are contradictions in the Wiki.
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref
It seems some DVF modes have been introduced, but they do not appear in the
TV Modes table with the detailed descriptions of the modes.

To answer your question about radio modes, if you want 96kbit/s the suffix
you need is med, so the option you need is
--radiomode=hafmed,dafmed,daflow,haflow,hlsaaclow