Preparing for latest update - modes questions.

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 10:35:43 PST 2017

I am doing a bit of housekeeping in preparation for upgrading to gip
2.98 and seek help and advice with my mode settings.

For TV my objective is to download the best tv available at 25fps
without specifying flash, so if HD is available at 1280x720 this is what
I want.

Having read the Release Notes for 2.98 my understanding is that this is
the default tv mode and it will use dash dvf as first choice and hls if
dash not available and so forth degrading according to availability, so
no tvmode setting is needed to achieve my objectives.

If this is correct please could somebody confirm and I shall remove all
reference to tvmode from my prefs.

For radio downloads I want the best resolution available for music and
opera and believe the radio 3 default of 320kbps would be the right
choice.

For spoken word such as book readings and drama, however, I do not need
this resolution and believe 96kbps would be more than sufficient.

Most of my radio downloads are done by pvr as a nightly cron job.   What
I am thinking therefore is that I should set my default radio mode in my
prefs and then qualify it (degrade it,) when for a spoken word programme
by including an appropriate  --radiomode in each relevant pvr job.

Modesref gives me --radiomode
default=dafhigh,hafhigh,dafstd,hafstd,hlsaacstd,dafmed,hafmed,daflow,haflow,hlsaaclow).

I understand this to mean that if the pvr job is type=radio and I do not
specify a radiomode I get the default as above.  What should I put if I
wish to downgrade the radio in the pvr job to 96kbps but not have
download fail if that mode is not available.  Sorry to be so dumb and
grateful for all guidance given.

Budge