Replacement for "aactomp3" option?

artisticforge . artisticforge at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 08:36:45 PDT 2016

hello

As of today, the BBC is required to verify that anyone viewing iPlayer
content has a TV license.
we all knew that today was coming. this has bearing on get_iplayer.

Podcast are about the only media that still is using mp3.
removing podcast from get_iplayer means that mp3 tagging may be removed.
removing mp3 tagging means that aactomp3 conversion would be broken so support
for aactomp3 conversion is being dropped.

Removing the mp3 support code from get_iplayer simplifies that code.
easier to maintain.

over the years get_iplayer has been a victim of "feature creep'
get_iplayer originally had one function, allow the downloading of BBC
iPlayer content.

get_iplayer will be getting back to the basics in the next release.
get_iplayer will do one thing and do it well.

that being said, does not mean that you do not have alternatives.

You can stay with the current version and continue to use the features
that you find useful.
Someone, could fork get_iplayer and continue to support mp3 tagging
and aactomp3 conversion.
They may even continue supporting podcasts. Get_iplayer is written in
Perl and is Open Source.
Forking get_iplayer is an option. Getting up to speed on the current
code is another matter.

I personally, have many shell scripts which I have written over the
years which wrap around get_iplayer and
perform the necessary task for me.

Many BBC Podcast are on iTunes so I download them with iTunes.
Those which are not I download with the web.

removing deprecated features is not the end of the world. View it as a
learning opportunity.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 8:13 AM, CJB <chrisjbrady at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please excuse my ignorance but it seems that some really useful
> features of GiP are to be deprecated in future versions for reasons
> that I do not fully understand..
>
> This is especially pertinent re: the final conversion of downloads to
> formats more useful to some folks such as the aactomp3 option. I do
> not understand the rationale to remove these features / options,
> especially if folks still wish to use them.
>
> To get around this removal and to retain the final formatting of the
> files that suits them folks are now discussing adding their own
> scripts to GiP.
>
> Surely this is crazy. There will be untold variations - each a special
> cases for the person involved. Then there could be releases by others
> of extra scripts for more common requirements, etc.
>
> This could quickly get out of hand and support could become a nightmare.
>
> Then there is talk of promoting YouTube-dl (or something) as a
> replacement for GiP to retain the features that are about to be
> removed from GiP.
>
> Would it not have been better to have asked the general user-base what
> features they would like to have kept available or not?
>
> Just my 2d worth.
>
> CJB
>

> On 01/09/2016, Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-717-1197 <faunt at panix.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, me too.
>>
>> On 01/09/2016 01:31, skymap62 at gmail.com wrote:
>>> I understand that the "aactomp3" option is being removed in the next
>>> release of GiP. I rely on this to download audio drama in MP3 format. Can
>>> anyone advise me what it can be replaced by, please? I run GiP on Windows
>>> 10.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Chris
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone