GIP 2.95 reports as v2.83 in Linux Mint!!!

artisticforge . artisticforge at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 05:36:29 PDT 2016

hello

login as you or at least get to your home directory ;

cd
tar -tzvf get_iplayer-2.95.tar.gz
tar -xzvf get_iplayer-2.95.tar.gz

you should now have in your home directory a directory named: get_iplayer-2.95

cd ./get_iplayer-2.95
ls -ls

to discover where any other stray "get_iplayer/get-iplayer" may be do
sudo find / \( -iname "*get_iplayer*" -o -iname "*get-iplayer*" \) -ls
| tee find-stray-GiP

depending on your system, number of hard drives, number of mounted
filesystems, size of mounted filesystems
this may take a long time.

On Wed, Jul 6, 2016 at 6:53 AM, Alan Milewczyk <alan at soulman1949.com> wrote:
> On 04/07/16 23:36, Roger Bell_West wrote:

>>> Oh, so what is the command to do that, please?
>>
>> apt-get purge, or aptitude purge.
>>

> Ok thanks, done that and it seems to have uninstalled the application and
> purged the config files (although v2.83 still seems to live somewhere in the
> system as "get-iplayer" when I do a "sudo apt-get install get-iplayer",
> heaven only knows where).
>
> However, ignoring that, I'm now trying, without success to install from the
> tar.gz file and from the extracted tar.gz ( sudo apt-get install from the
> relevant folder....), I'm getting a "cannot find package" error message (I
> presume it needs a deb file to work). I've looked up on the net how to
> install from a tar.gz and tried a few differing options without success -
> indeed there is comment on a number of websites that this is not for
> beginners and what seems to work for one program doesn't work for another. I
> must admit as a Linux noob this is like pulling teeth! :-(
>
> So, after going round in circles, please can someone tell what is the
> definitive way of installing this tar.gz?
>
> Thanks

terry l. ridder ><>