Help with Options with 2.96 Please

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Tue Aug 23 14:08:03 PDT 2016

>From: Budge Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 13:39

>Finally, why is the v2.96 default 960x540 at 50fps? What are benefits?

This is what the v2.96 Release Notes say, "The one lacuna filled by flash
modes is that flashhd mode represents the only alternative to a broken hlshd
mode for 1280x720 25fps HD TV recordings. If the hls modes are not repaired,
and the hvfhd (1280x720 50fps) streams are not viable for you, now is the
time for you to start looking at the hvfsd (960x540 50fps) streams as a
replacement. This is what the BBC gives you when you click "Watch in HD" on
the iPlayer site. Who are we to argue?"

As for the BBC, there was an article published about a year ago.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015-07-the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer
It said, "At around 3 Mbit/s a 960x540 profile at 50fps will be made
available to Connected TVs and set top boxes. The Elemental encoders are
used to convert the 1920x1080 interlaced content to 960x540 for progressive
encoding at 50fps. Although the 960x540 profile has a reduced spatial
resolution compared to the outgoing 1280x720 at 25fps, subjective
assessments shows it delivers significantly better pictures on TV screens
across a wide range of popular content (such as EastEnders and Top Gear) due
to its higher frame rate. The 50fps, 1280x720 profile, however, will be
available to those with 5Mbit/s broadband connections."

I am assuming the reference to Top Gear is the Clarkson Top Gear.  It is not
clear to me from that why it is not possible or desirable to have a 1280x720
25fps mode alongside the 1280x720 50fps and 960x540 50fps modes.