Olympics 2016 RedButton content, offered as catch-up

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sat Aug 13 02:22:24 PDT 2016

>From: David Cantrell Sent: Friday, August 12, 2016 17:21

>There's less faffing about if you go to the iplayer main page at
>bbc.co.uk/iplayer and put "olympic equestrian" (or whatever) into the
>search box.

Thanks for the suggestion.  After reading the first of Vangelis's very
helpful explanations I did indeed discover that I could find the pids to
which he referred for myself by searching for "olympic equestrian" in the
iPlayer search box or the search box on the Sport page.

There were two obstacles to my doing that before his explanation.
1.  I had wrongly concluded from the disappearance of links to live coverage
when an event finished that there was no catch up for Red Button coverage.
Vangelis corrected that misapprehension.
2.  In order to search I needed to know what the BBC had called the sport.
There are 3 Olympic sports involving horses, Eventing, Show jumping and
Dressage.  Eventing has 3 phases, dressage, cross-country and show jumping.
On an All you need to know page the BBC absurdly refers to "Jumping
(sometimes called show jumping)".  I say absurdly because show is an
important element of the sport.  Horses have to be smartly turned out.
Riders have to be smartly dressed and in particular clothes.  The obstacles
are brightly coloured and unusual shapes both to be visually attractive to
spectators and to test the horse's ability to concentrate on the job in hand
amid visual distractions and deceptions.

The BBC ought to be shouting about catch up coverage of the Olympics from
the roof tops because it transforms the way the Olympics can be watched.  It
is no longer necessary to choose between only seeing highlights and staying
up all night and taking time off work.  That may also have been true for the
2012 Olympics, but I was abroad at that time.