Podcast download problem

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Fri May 29 14:51:32 PDT 2015

On Fri May 29 17:44:12 PDT 2015, Arthur Murray wrote:

> pid: p02sgk0l
>
> Trying to get this in get_iplayer,
>
> Is there a way to get get_iplayer to download
> the working link to the MP3?

Hello, Arthur :-)

In all fairness, this may be a bug with get_iplayer,
caused by recent BBC changes.
First, this is not a typical podcast;
on http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4
most have download URLs of the form:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/[programme]/[filename].mp3
e.g. for "Thought For The Day" May 29th it's:
http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/radio4/thought/thought_20150529-1239a.mp3
GiP is best tailored to handle this type of podcasts.
However, lately another type of podcast has emerged,
like the one you're having trouble with and like "Home Front"
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047qhc2/episodes/downloads)
in which every episode is assigned a pid; GiP can't apparently
process those "podcast" pids.

Concentrating on your offending podcast,
its programme page is
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02sgk0l
hence, as you said, pid=p02sgk0l
by loading:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02sgk0l/playlist.json
you'll find that vpid=p02sgk0w

At least on my setup, I'm finding that:

perl
get_iplayer-292.pl --type=radio --pid=p02sgk0l --modes=flashaac --tag-podcast-radio
 --force

works (from my Greek IP) ands yields an M4A file of your show.
So does

perl
get_iplayer-292.pl --type=radio --pid=p02sgk0l --modes=hlsaac --tag-podcast-radio
 --force

If you're not in the UK currently, please disable any geo-spoofing methods
you are using (if any), like "Smart DNS" services or proxy servers.
The HLS URL you've posted
http://cp143012-i.akamaihd.net/i/...
is of the UK (HLS) CDN, this hostname (cp143012-i.akamaihd.net)
is geo-blocked and won't connect from a non-UK IP.
But the podcast file IS AVAILABLE worldwide, it should
download via rtmp/hls from your overseas location!
(FWIW, the file downloads over AppleHLS via the international
version of the Akamai (HLS) CDN, "cp312012-vh.akamaihd.net")

 Now, GiP in its current incarnation can't download via PID the MP3 version
linked
on the programme's page; if you examine (but not click) the link,
you'll see that it uses the mediaselector/5 API URL with a new mediaset
string:

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download/proto/http/vpid/p02sgk0w.mp3

This new mediaset=audio-nondrm-download
is not hardcoded into the GiP script, so it can't generate
that download link from a given "podcast" pid...

Workaround:
1. Build or refresh the podcast cache by running:
get_iplayer --type=podcast -f --force
(takes a little while)
2. get_iplayer --type=podcast "Documentary of the Week Podcast"

returns (5 results in total):

210194: Documentary of the Week Podcast - My Head, Fri, 29 May 2015 15:30:00
+01
00, BBC Radio 4, News & Politics

3. get_iplayer --type=podcast 210194 -g

C:\Program Files\get_iplayer>get_iplayer --type=podcast 210194 -g
get_iplayer v2.90-45-g16b0c40, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis
  This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details
use --warranty.
  This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it under
certain
  conditions; use --conditions for details.

Matches:
210194: Documentary of the Week Podcast - My Head, Fri, 29 May 2015 15:30:00
+01
00, BBC Radio 4, News & Politics

INFO: 1 Matching Programmes
INFO: Checking existence of default version
INFO: podcast modes will be tried for version default
INFO: Trying podcast mode to record podcast: Documentary of the Week
Podcast - M
y Head
INFO: File name prefix = Documentary_of_the_Week_Podcast_-_My_Head_p02sgk0w

INFO: Recorded 26.10MB in 00:00:16 at 13363kbps to D:\Vangelis\iPlayer
Recording
s\Documentary_of_the_Week_Podcast_-_My_Head_p02sgk0w.mp3

INFO: Downloaded Thumbnail to 'D:\Vangelis\iPlayer
Recordings\Documentary_of_the
_Week_Podcast_-_My_Head_p02sgk0w.jpg'
INFO: ID3 tagging MP3 file

Hope I've helped!