Bug: -u updates get_ipayer(.pl) only in v2.91 > v2.92

Howard Orgel Howard.Orgel at orgels.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 15 16:13:05 PDT 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 20:41:13 +0000, Peter S Kirk wrote:

> Release notes:

> "The installer will update the following components to the indicated
> versions:
> Component 	Version
> get_iplayer main script 	2.92"

Thank you, Peter.  Yes I read that _before_ I updated and I thought it was
wrong.  I'd already looked at the commitdif pages for all the commits
between v2.91 and v2.92 (55 of them, I'm a glutton for punishment) and was
aware that there have been significant changes to three files: the main
script (get_iplayer(.pl)), the web server script (get_iplayer.cgi), and
the manual script (get_iplayer.1).  Whilst I use the web pvr less than
once in a blue moon, others do, and may be inconvenienced (for large
values of inconvenienced, judging by some posts in this forum) by not
having the web server script not being at the latest version, and not
knowing what to do about it.  I have to admit to not knowing the purpose
of having the manual script in the Get Iplayer's program directory, since
it can be generated on demand using "get_iplayer --manpage get_iplayer.1",
it's in the distribution, it's been updated, so users updating their
copies should get it.

> I took this to mean that only the .pl file is changed.

Do you (PSK) mean that only one file has been updated (by dinkpumpkin), or
that the updater (get_iplayer -u) will only replace one file?  Maybe I
should have brought attention to the release notes as well.

--
Regards, Howard.

Howard.Orgel at orgels.demon.co.uk
http://www.orgels.demon.co.uk