BBC Dropping MP3 and garbled downloads ....

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 12:41:04 PST 2015

(Follow-up to group, omitted accidentally from original reply)

Yes, plenty, but I'm listening through a backlog at the moment, so I can't
really comment on current downloads.

You should be made aware that this has always been an ongoing problem even
with mp3 downloads  -  it has always come and gone over a period of minutes,
hours, or days  -  it's just that the incidence of the problem went up very
dramatically when the changeover to m4a occurred, with at least for a while
seemingly every single program affected.

My guess is that it happens when the servers running the encoding software
start to run out of resources.  The software probably doesn't clear up after
itself and gradually leaks one or more resource types  -  memory, threads,
handles, etc.  Perhaps the new encoding places greater demands on server
resources, hence the dramatic increase in incidence.

www.macfh.co.uk/CEMH.html

UK Residents:

If you feel can possibly support it
please sign the following ePetition
before closing time of 30/03/2015 23:59:-

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71556