Sampling frequency on Radio programmes

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon Apr 27 03:09:31 PDT 2015

In article <54ba6598cfweb at audiomisc.co.uk>, Jim web
<web at audiomisc.co.uk>
wrote:

> Afraid I don't know at present. But I'll inquire and see what I can find
> out.

I've been told that the 48k -> 44.1k happens when acc is tapped out of the
distribution cache and converted to mp3. That's then fed back though the
cache and thence on to the user-facing servers. Apparently the general wish
of the device makers was for this as a 'lowest common denominator' to
maximise the number of 'legacy' devices that could accept the resulting
shoutcasts. So aac -> mp3 transcode and the rate change are done in the
same process.

In essence, AIUI it happens before the user-facing servers but after the
aac generation.

As I think the French (almost!) say. "It's not magnificent. It's a railway
station!" 8-]

Jim