[ANN] get_iplayer search and PVR functions no longer work - no fix available

User Name magic_cheezer at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 21:16:22 PDT 2014

I found that by co-opting (and modifying slightly the behaviour of) the --refreshfuture cmdline option, I was able to re-populate the cache with a fair amount of stuff. I have modified the 2.86 git version of the get_iplayer.pl script I have on Windows (precisely, from git branch f109d22).

In the get_links sub, I changed schedule_feeds to:

   my @schedule_feeds = (
    "http://www.bbc.co.uk/${channel_id}/this_week.xml",
    "http://www.bbc.co.uk/${channel_id}/last_week.xml",
   );

and then reversed the sense of:

     # Don't create this prog instance if the availablity is in the past
     # this prevents programmes which never appear in iPlayer from being indexed
     next if Programme::get_time_string( $available ) < $now;

to:

     next if Programme::get_time_string( $available )> $now;

Now when I perform, e.g.:

"%Windir%\system32\cmd.exe" /c get_iplayer --refresh --type radio --refreshfuture

or

"%Windir%\system32\cmd.exe" /c get_iplayer --refresh --type tv --refreshfuture

my radio.cache (or tv.cache) is repopulated with a wealth of metadata.

Subsequently downloading content with this cache (at least I've tried for flashaaclow radio) leaves me with files populated with a (albeit wrong/generic iPlayer) thumbnail and what appears to be at least some of the correct tagging.

The only down-side so far seems to be that some progs are missing from before (e.g. Doctor Who Extra in the tv.cache). Presumably these are non-broadcast-schedule files, e.g. red-button-esque web-only iPlayer features.

Hope this is of use and might give more clues towards a solution.