Accessing programmes more than a week old?

Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Mon Oct 27 09:37:25 PDT 2014

"Chris Marriott" <chris at chrism.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Apologies - this is slightly OT for the list, but perhaps someone knows the

>answer.
>
> I was under the impression that iPlayer had been updated to allow the
> playing of programmes more than a week old, now, but when I go to the
> iPlayer web site, and select a TV channel, the list of dates along the top
> of the page still only allows me to view programmes less than a week old.
> Is there a way to go back further, or has the extension to 30 days not yet
> happened?

My impression is that the change to get_iplayer is to support explicit
fetches by pid, where the programme referred to in the fetch command happens
to be more tha 7 days old.

The way I discover pids of old programmes is via the 'episodes' pages on
what the bbc call the 'programme website'.  So for example, for "Rip Off
Britain", I start at

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/programmes/a-z/by/r

then select the programme's site (really a 'microsite' as it;s just one tiny
part of the overall bbc website) at

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wck32

then click the 'Episodes' tab to go to:

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wck32/episodes/guide

and navigate to the entry describing the programme I'm interested in, to get
that programme's pid.  For example when a specific programme has a URL like

  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04n6k1x

the pid is the final part, namely "b04n6k1x".

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own.