More (or less) Tommies

roadcone roadcone at gmx.com
Thu Oct 16 10:28:37 PDT 2014

On 15/10/14 22:28, dinkypumpkin wrote:
> On 15/10/2014 22:06, roadcone wrote:
>> I have not yet replaced the perl script on my Linux machine due to my
>> unfamiliarity with folder ownership and not knowing the consequences of
>> taking over ownership from root. And if I do, do I leave it as mine or
>> will that cause other apps problems later? Do I return ownership to root
>> once I have replaced the perl script file?
>
> You don't say what distro you're using, but I assume you have a packaged
> install that puts get_iplayer in /usr/bin, where it's owned by root. You
> don't need to touch this at all for the moment.  Ignore it.
>
>> LInux: I've tried putting the latest perl script file in the downloads
>> folder the dropping to Terminal in that folder and running get_iplayer.
>> This seems to run the installed version 2.82 and not the recently
>> downloaded v2.86 from github. I had rather assumed it would run the copy
>> from the same folder and not go looking for the original. I have changed
>> permissions of the downloaded one to executable.
>
> Unlike Windows, the current directory isn't implicitly in PATH.  You
> probably just need to invoke get_iplayer from current directory
> explicitly: ./get_iplayer.  As the manual installation instructions tell
> you, you may elect to install somewhere in PATH, like /usr/local/bin,
> that would supersede your packaged version, but there is no need to do
> that for now.

Dinky - thank you for taking the time to explain some Linux to me. Yes,
I am using the packaged install. I had, wrongly, made assumptions on
Linux, based on my Windows experience. I see from your comments that
Linux won't first search the current directory. And, of course, if I use
./ then the downloaded copy of get_iplayer runs - just like magic.

Thank you again and also thanks to Colin Law and Jeremy Nicoll for the
comments and guidance.

Clive