More (or less) Tommies

dinkypumpkin dinkypumpkin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 14:28:59 PDT 2014

On 15/10/2014 22:06, roadcone wrote:
> I have not yet replaced the perl script on my Linux machine due to my
> unfamiliarity with folder ownership and not knowing the consequences of
> taking over ownership from root. And if I do, do I leave it as mine or
> will that cause other apps problems later? Do I return ownership to root
> once I have replaced the perl script file?

You don't say what distro you're using, but I assume you have a packaged
install that puts get_iplayer in /usr/bin, where it's owned by root.
You don't need to touch this at all for the moment.  Ignore it.

> LInux: I've tried putting the latest perl script file in the downloads
> folder the dropping to Terminal in that folder and running get_iplayer.
> This seems to run the installed version 2.82 and not the recently
> downloaded v2.86 from github. I had rather assumed it would run the copy
> from the same folder and not go looking for the original. I have changed
> permissions of the downloaded one to executable.

Unlike Windows, the current directory isn't implicitly in PATH.  You
probably just need to invoke get_iplayer from current directory
explicitly: ./get_iplayer.  As the manual installation instructions tell
you, you may elect to install somewhere in PATH, like /usr/local/bin,
that would supersede your packaged version, but there is no need to do
that for now.