OT podcast listings missing a digit

Budgie ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 09:42:56 PDT 2014

On 01/10/14 16:33, Mark Rogers wrote:
> On 1 October 2014 15:33, Owen Smith <owen.smith at cantab.net> wrote:
>> I'm so used to Reply going to a sensible destination for all my other emails
>
> There are two buttons: Reply and Reply All. There are two potential
> actions: reply just to the sender, and reply to everyone.
>
> Forget everything you think you know and try to match those two
> actions up with the best button to use for each.
>
> The problem is that you've been conditioned by other mailing lists to
> expect something different, and this may well be the only list that
> does it this way that you use, and it is your experience that is
> defining what you consider to be "sensible". Which is fair enough if
> your experience is global (or sufficiently broad) so that others have
> the same expectations. Very many lists work the same as this one
> though, so many of us are used to this behaviour rather than the
> "reply goes to list" behaviour. I suspect most of us have seen both
> options and wish there was one standard (and, frankly, not care which
> standard it was as long as it was global). But back in the real
> world...
>
> Now, given that confusion is a given, (a) which makes most sense when
> you take the various expectations based on past experience away, and
> (b) which does least harm when it goes wrong. For the reasons above,
> for (a) the behaviour here makes the most sense. For (b), is it better
> that a public email stays private, or that a private email gets made
> public? Surely the best option is one that never makes private email
> public, and for that reason the behaviour here wins that one too.
>
> But rest assured, *you* are not the problem. The issue is that various
> list administrators over the years have changed the settings to make
> things a bit easier for people who hit reply and wonder why it doesn't
> go to everybody. Those people still have problems in normal email when
> one is sent to a dozen people and whilst the reply is clearly intended
> for everyone it only goes to one person due to them hitting Reply. The
> second issue is that when some list admins make this hack, others
> didn't. The third is that through luck (or lack of it) you've mostly
> hit the hacked ones and learned to expect that behaviour.
>
> As an aside, if you've ever replied privately to someone with a
> problem, and included personal contact details in an offer to help fix
> the problem, only to find that the contact details were sent to
> everyone (I have...) you'll appreciate that "private by default" is a
> good idea, not a bad one.
>
> Mark

I have learnt to choose between "Reply" and "Reply List."  It wasn't too
difficult so I like the list as it is thanks.

I also prefer bottom posting.

I was slightly intrigued by the fact that the last two posts were
thought by my mail system to be junk.

Waiting for a NAS to update and re-boot.

Budgie