iplayer audio to lpcm

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 04:26:10 PST 2014

On 08 Nov, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer
<jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Jim Lesurf <jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> > One complication here I've already hit is that IIUC the xfce mint
> > distro I'm using doesn't provide ffmpeg but avcodec (?) I've installed
> > a local version of ffmpeg but am unsure of how avcodec may differ from
> > this in ways that may affect what I have in mind. I'm used to ffmpeg,
> > but not avcodec.

> Something possibly relevant "avconv Used in Preference to ffmpeg Where
> Available" changed in 2.83; see notes at:
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/release283

> and also changes in 2.87 "Important note re: obsolete FFmpeg versions":
> (also for avconv) - see:
> https://github.com/dinkypumpkin/get_iplayer/wiki/release287

Thanks, I'll look at the above. One of the things I'm curious about is the
relative performance (in terms of quality, etc) of ffmpeg versus avcodec. I
come to this from being a long term user of ffmpeg, but knowing nothing
about the forking or its effects. Given my past I tend to go for using
ffmpeg as my first intent. But would/will change if it is advantageous.

Jim