get_iplayer - works at first... then doesn't

Jim Lesurf jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Nov 7 04:24:51 PST 2014

On 07 Nov, Jeremy Nicoll - ml get_iplayer
<jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk> wrote:
> Jim Lesurf <jcgl at audiomisc.co.uk> wrote:

> >I'm using command line and issuing commands like
> >
> >get_iplayer --type=radio --verbose --not-tag --pid b04lsjkv --o <outdir>
> >
> > in a terminal. The --no-tag avoids the fetch working but getting a
> > complaint about inability to fetch some metadata to tag the results.

> Is that "--not-tag" in your sample command a typo, or are you actually
> using the incorrect option name?

Sorry. Typo. I'd use >> to record the report by typed the command by
looking at the laptop screen whilst using this machine to send an email. As
you may know from elsewhere do tend to make typos I'm afraid. Even looking
at what I've written I can fail to see them.

> >get_iplayer v2.83, Copyright (C) 2008-2010 Phil Lewis

> It's pointless telling people what happens with 2.83; you need to tell
> us what happens with 2.90.

> > The distro version is 2.83. The one I tried in a user directory was
> > 2.90 obtained via git.

> So post the relevant parts of its   --verbose   output instead.  Can you
> see any difference between that for a working run and a subsequent
> non-working one?

Just tried it. Same command as above (without the typo!) and it worked!

That's interesting because it didn't work before. I'm not sure if that's
because installing 2.83 has set up something else which it requires.
However I'll have to try it a few times before and after a
shutdown-wait-bootup to see if it continues.

> If you fetch the exact same programme both times, (you'll need to code
> --force   on refetches) it'll be easier to compare.

Ah. I'd noticed a force option but hadn't seen a description of what it
does. Thanks.

I'll report back later on what happens after a shutdown, etc.

But why would 2.83 work *until* a shutdown-startup?

Thanks,

Jim