317 kbps radio files - really?

Christopher Woods christopher at custommade.org.uk
Sun Jun 15 15:12:46 PDT 2014

Dedication!

It may not support Rockbox - but if it does, that'll give your Mini a new
lease of life :) My old H140 is still a brilliant portable player with Rockbox.

Internally, shows are stored as linear audio. Network uses "dira!" and
local radio is just beginning a major project to move to it too from
Radioman as the playout system.

On dira systems, stuff is stored for broadcast as linear audio - 16 bit, 48
kHz WAV (yes, 48 due to underlying architecture of dira and makes it easier
to share media with TV who all work at 48).

No guarantee that all source audio for a programme is always recorded as
WAV but it's almost invariably so now. (Only handful of exceptions to this
but this is mostly only where portable newsgathering apps are being used in
the field.)

Network programmes will all be recorded and edited at lossless quality -
Archers and few other programmes are still edited on SADiE (...and Archers
is an odd case as it's also still done at 44.1 kHz for technical reasons).
Outsourced programmes can be done almost any way as long as they conform to
strict digital delivery specifications.

Chris

----
Sent from a mobile device, please be gentle